G

12  messages

jeudi 8 février 2024 15:44

Very high latency and jitter on upload

Is it normal to have such a high latency and jitter number on my internet line for the past few weeks/months?

Download is acceptable but not perfect, but when anything gets uploaded, the numbers are huge and it is felt with only 1 connected internet device in use.

Top Expert

• 

41.6K  messages

il y a 3 mois

@Justin 

vous pourriez lancer un ping sur son modem pendant un certain temps pour voir si des pertes sont visibles, peut être nperf qui indique cette information mais cela vient peut être de chez eux...

Officiel VOO

• 

3.7K  messages

il y a 3 mois

I've just pinged the customer's modem for over 20 minutes (1200 packets) and have had no loss.

It's very likely that the problem is with Speedtest.

Please let me know if you notice any problems in your everyday use.

12  messages

il y a 3 mois

Hi again,

So as I currently cannot prove that there is a true problem, I will install PRTG monitor (free edition) and monitor "the WAN" and see if I can get some nice graphs for this thread.

I had this running a few years back but removed it after there wasn't much going on on my network and it was using unneeded resources.

I'll report back to this thread once I have more details.

Thanks for all the conversations, and I wish you a great day and weekend.

@Justin , enjoy the games dude!

@roylion15 , keep up the good work on the forum, sir!

12  messages

il y a 2 mois

Dear all,

I am back and can say that the day after my testing above (18 days ago) I replaced "the obvious" cable that may have been an issue.  It was the cable used after my VOO modem was replaced.  It was the cable from the modem to my Asus router.

It solved my immediate problems and I now have stable connections again.  The connection is not ideal and I must say that I have a feeling (no proof) that the older VOO modem performed better.

Attached I also have some graphs of my PRTG monitoring of "Ping" and "Ping Jitter", which includes a VOO outage I experienced this morning for about 15 mins.

I am not asking for anything this time, but it is nice to provide feedback to all involved with this and for future viewers of this post.

(Modifié)

Officiel VOO

• 

1.3K  messages

il y a 2 mois

Hello @GSS

I've just analysed your internet line and there was no interruption this morning. 
However, instabilities are visible on the general line. I have sent a request for analysis to the network service. 
If the problems reappear, don't hesitate to contact us again.

12  messages

il y a 2 mois

Thanks @Fallon 

Would you have a (high level) network diagram that you could share with us?

It's interesting that I detect an outage that completely knocks out my access to the internet yet as you state above, that "my internet line" had no interruption. 

What is this "General line" and where is it?  Is there maybe a local POP that I can assist in monitoring?

The above graphs are running on a PC that's on 24/7 and so I can setup some more tools to assist you provide us (all) a better service.

WDYT?

Officiel VOO

• 

1.3K  messages

il y a 2 mois

@GSS

Unfortunately no, I don't have such a diagram. 
Regarding this morning's power cut, I can see that you've restarted your modem, but I can't see any loss of signal (it's possible that this isn't visible, as the restart took place at the same time as the loss of signal at your home). 
When we talk about the general line, this refers to the signal that passes through the street (via the various cables or underground, depending on the initial installation). 
Unfortunately I'm not in a position to tell you whether there's a general POP. 
What do you mean by "I can therefore configure additional tools to help you provide us (all) with a better service"?

12  messages

il y a 2 mois

OK, I understand about the network diag. @Fallon .

Yes, I restarted the modem after I saw all the lights flashing red on it and after I had lost connection (my office laptop losing access to Outlook, etc.).  Check the timeline of the above graphs versus the reboot time of the modem, and you will understand that the modem restart happened AFTER the line went down.

As I have a device monitoring the line 24/7 I can add additional monitoring from a customer's perspective so that VOO tech support can see the full picture.  A perfect example is exactly what happened this morning: You say my line was good, yet I experienced a full outage of my line that took out my VOO Trio package (TV, internet and phone).

If I am monitoring this, I can log a ticket or upload to this forum all my monitoring graphs, etc. (via 4G obviously), so that you can see what I see, and if I have more monitoring points of your network, this can help your engineers fix the issue(s) faster.  Hence I help you to help us.  A win-win. :)

(Modifié)

Officiel VOO

• 

3.7K  messages

il y a 2 mois

Hello,

Nice, but not necessary.
The network department has its own network monitoring tools to check on the customer's premises as if they were on the street.
Thank you for your suggestion.

I can already tell you that an intervention is due to take place in your area. However, I don't have a date to give you.

12  messages

il y a 2 mois

Thanks @Justin 

I'm always willing to help, and if you guys want to install a device on my line at my home to better understand at least my situation then, reach out to me and we can organize this!  (As you can see from the graphs above, ping and jitter is not so good)

An "intervention" means an outage/downtime for me, correct?

(Modifié)

Officiel VOO

• 

3.7K  messages

il y a 2 mois

Yes, the intervention can cause disruption.

Poser une question

Poser une question

Conversations populaires